Saturday, July 16, 2011

Week Seven: Hand Drawing



1. What was it like using your hand as subject matter for a drawing?

It wasn’t too bad because its so close to your body that your able to see a lot of the details in your hands so your able to get your drawings to appear somewhat in proportion.  Even though this is the case it is very hard to actually make your hand appear real in the drawing.  It will look similar to it, but to perfect this is another story.

2. What media did you select - pencil or charcoal? Why?

I selected pencil because It was what I had at my house.  Plus I have had a little experience drawing with pencil as opposed to almost no experience with charcoal so I picked the one which would deliver the best result, in my opinion.

3. How did it feel to create a drawing with your non-dominant hand?

I actually cheated a bit. I drew a rough outline with my left hand then filled in the details with my right.  I tried to draw with my non-dominant hand several times but it felt like I was back in grade school drawing although I am in college.  I really couldn’t come up with anything that I felt comfortable submitting so I just used my right hand to fill in the lines of detail.

4. Compare and contrast your final drawings. Do you think they are successful studies?

From this project I learned how hard It was to draw a human hand but it seems like the more lines, and details, you put into the palm and knuckle areas, the more realistic the hand becomes.  After doing this project I feel like if I had been knowledgeable in charcoal drawing, the shading that the charcoal provides would have given a more realistic drawing of my hands.

5. Would you consider using your non-dominant hand to create artwork in the future?

No, only if my right hand was broken and my life depended on creating a drawing.  Even then I still might use my right hand

No comments:

Post a Comment